Saturday, May 8, 2010

Color: A Natural History of the Palette| Victoria Findlay

What an exciting journey this book took me on! The premise is that Victoria Findlay is intrigued by the colours in her art box. She begins to wonder about the origin of pigments and colours, their values and related meanings through history. She looks for the natural sources of the initial pigments used in art.

And we take off on a trip around the world. She creates a story around each colour telling us about the origin of the name, the origin of the pigment and how each colour came to the world market. I was engrossed and couldn’t put it down.
Now when I see a piece of artwork or admire a delicious looking colour it gives me a much better appreciation of how we use and admire colour.

Thoroughly entertaining and a great travel log, all about the people around the globe involved in the harvest of pigments.

I also went on to read "Buried Treasure: travel through my jewellery box" about precious stones.

No comments:

Post a Comment