Sunday, July 25, 2010

Ahab's Wife | Sena Jeter Naslund

The first sentence had me hooked “Captain Ahab was neither my first husband nor my last….” Although I only have a sketchy memory of reading Moby Dick, it didn’t really matter as in this story the author details the life of Una Spencer. She leaves wild Kentucky and disguised as a boy works on a whaling ship where she encounters and falls in love with Ahab. She marries him and then spends a lonely marriage as he goes to sea. There is another love, a lighthouse island…Yearning is so well described and I loved the character of Una as Naslund portrays life in that era so well.

Although Una doesn’t have an easy life, it’s an uplifting novel and thoroughly enjoyable to read. I love it when an author can transport us into someone’s life and for a few days we can live it together.

Well worth the hours it will take to read it.

Ahab's Wife: Or, the Star-Gazer
Buy at Fishpond.co.nz


No comments:

Post a Comment