Tuesday, February 21, 2012

The Invisible Ones | Steph Penney

I've been waiting for this book for a long time, ever since reading The Tenderness of Wolves. Penney overcomes huge personal phobias to get her books researched and written, so I take my hat off to her for the effort. Both these books are well wroth reading.
In The Invisible Ones, the protagonists are Travelers (Gypsies) in England. I had a small inkling into the life of Travelers after enduring about half an episode of My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding....It was good background! Penney tells the story of a family plagues by ostracism, prejudiced and a mysterious familial illness. The characters are intriguing and I got to know and care for them in the space of the story. The life and history of Traveler families in the UK is incredibly interesting.
In this novel Ray Lovell, a private investigator of Gypsy origin, is contracted by a Gypsy family to find Rose Janko who disappeared soon after marrying into the Janko family. As Ray probes into the life of the Jankos, he comes up against more and more opposition to his investigations and eventually is poisoned for his efforts. His insights and probings into Gypsy life become our own discoveries and surprises into the life of these often overlooked and mistreated group of people.
I found it a great read, and I hope Penney has almost finished her next book because I am an avid fan of her writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment