Tuesday, October 5, 2010

The Return of Captain John Emmett | Elizabeth Speller

This book took me by surprise in it's depth and how widely ranging the story goes. It is set in and just after WWI. The main character, Laurence Bartram returns from the war to find his young wife and infant son dead. He tries to hide away by writing a book on London churches and does not successfully engage with life after war. 

Then Mary Emmett enters his life- he knew her brother. Laurence is asked to investigate why John Emmett killed himself after the war. We meet some interesting characters, learn about the realities of trench warfare and shell shock. Many young men were destroyed by simply being in the war in Europe and this book in a way pays homage to those who suffered great emotional ill.

I really enjoyed reading it because the characters were drawn in such a way that I cared about what happened to them. The plot is interesting and a bit of a who-done-it, of a gentle and intellectual manner rather than a modern graphic nature. Speller is very talented and can tell a very plausible story so I will find her other two books and read those too. Well worth reading. 
The Return of Captain John Emmett
Buy from Fishpond.co.nz




The Return of Captain John Emmett

2 comments:

  1. I just wanted to say thank you-not just for the lovely review but for your perceptive understanding of what I intended with the book. It means a lot, especially as it was my first novel (next is a sequel and comes out in May)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Thanks and you're very welcome! I just found your site and placed a link to it. I'd really appreciate a link to my review, from your site if it's not too much to ask. Are you able to do that?

    ReplyDelete